Notices sorted by graduation date.
Arthur Maxwell Field (Grad ’40) of Blacksburg, Va., died Sept. 5, 2010. A Presbyterian minister, he held leadership positions with the church in Richmond and Atlanta, and was awarded an honorary doctorate by Hampden-Sydney College. After his retirement in 1976, Mr. Field moved to Koinonia, a Christian community near Americus, Ga., where he served as interim pastor and edited These Days, a magazine of daily devotions.
Alexander Sproul (Med ’41) of Staunton, Va., died July 12, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces School of Aviation Medicine, the Maryland Air National Guard and the Virginia Air National Guard. In 1950, he was commissioned a major in the newly separate U.S. Air Force Reserve, with promotion to the rank of colonel by 1964, retiring in January 1970. Dr. Sproul was in the private practice of obstetrics and gynecology in Staunton from 1948 to 1967, as a solo practitioner until he was joined by Dr. Philip Grant in 1958. From 1967 to 1970, he was a fellow in pathology at the University of Virginia School of Medicine, then was associate pathologist at King’s Daughters’ Hospital in Staunton and Stonewall Jackson Hospital in Lexington until his retirement in 1984. During those years, he also was a clinical assistant professor and later clinical associate professor of pathology at U.Va. Medical School. He was a member of the board of directors of Staunton Industrial Bank, the American Red Cross and the Staunton City School Board, among others.
John Parrish March (Engr ’42 L/M) of Cincinnati died July 24, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II. At the University, Mr. March was a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity, the Engineering Council and the Judiciary Committee. He served as the director and executive vice president of Cincinnati Incorporated, a family-owned machine tool company. He served on the board of Episcopal High School in Arlington, Va., and on the boards of the Convalescent Hospital for Children, Planned Parenthood and many other Cincinnati organizations. Survivors include a brother, Perrin March (Engr ’39 L/M); and a daughter, Elizabeth March (Col ’75).
Irving S. Abady (Col ’43) of Richmond, Va., died Aug. 9, 2010. At the University, he was a Lawn resident. After his service in the U.S. Navy during World War II, Mr. Abady became president of Richmond Fixture and Equipment Co. and co-founder of the Salvage Barn.
Arthur Shands “Bud” Heald (Col ’44) of Lynchburg, Va., died Sept. 6, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Mr. Heald spent his career as a corrugated box engineer and salesman. He worked for Carolina Container, Robert Gair Co. and retired after 18 years with J&J Southeast Container Company in Martinsville.
Jack Philip Bain (Col ’45) of Wakefield, Va., died Aug. 25, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He later became trustee and bookkeeper of the T.L. Bain Estate of Ivor and was active in several civic organizations. His memberships included the Wakefield Town Council, the Wakefield Ruritan Club and the Tidewater Academy board of directors.
William Purcell Thurston Jr. (Com ’45 L/M) of Richmond, Va., died July 29, 2010. After serving in the U.S. Navy, he began his career in the investment business at Branch, Cabell & Co. followed by several years as a securities analyst on Wall Street. At 26, Mr. Thurston founded Thurston & Company, one of the first financial planning firms in Richmond. Sixteen years later, the firm merged with Anderson & Strudwick. The last decade of his 46 years in the investment field was with Capitoline Investment Services, a subsidiary of what is now SunTrust Bank. Survivors include a daughter, Elizabeth K. Thurston (Col ’87, GSBA ’99); and a grandson, Todd S. Thurston (Col ’14 L/M).
Sigmund Alexander Harpman Jr. (Engr ’46 A/M) of Oklahoma City died July 21, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy. Following in the footsteps of his father, Mr. Harpman was president and CEO of the Oklahoma Paper Co. He sold the OPACO Building as part of the Bricktown redevelopment plan. He was a commercial real estate broker with Spradling Real Estate. Mr. Harpman was a founding member of the Oklahoma City Golf Commission, which he served on for more than 40 years. In 1961, he won the President’s Award from Golf, Inc. He served as director of the National Paper Trade Association.
Morton C. Wilson (Med ’46 L/M) of Little Rock, Ark., died Aug. 26, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He practiced urology in Fort Smith, Ark., from 1953 to 2001. Dr. Wilson was a member of the American Medical Association and the Arkansas Medical Society, the American Urological Association and the Fort Smith Rotary Club.
Henry Wright Bailey (Engr ’47) of Augusta, Ga., died Sept. 24, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He practiced general surgery for 35 years and mentored surgical residents for 20 years at the Medical College of Georgia. Certified by the American Board of Surgery, Dr. Bailey was admitted to fellowship by the Southeastern Surgical Congress and the American College of Surgeons. In 1967, he was chief of staff at University Hospital of Augusta.
Thomas Holt (Grad ’47) of Warrenton, N.C., died Sept. 5, 2010. He served in the U.S. Marine Hospital Division during World War II. In 1948, Dr. Holt joined the Rocky Mount Sanitarium staff and remained there until he returned to Warren County in 1951, where he maintained his eye, ear, nose and throat practice for the next 52 years. He and other local doctors helped lead the effort to create Warren General Hospital in the mid-1950s. During his tenure in Warrenton, Dr. Holt served both as a member and as chairman of the Warren County Board of Education.
Charles Henry Sackett (Col ’47, Med ’51 L/M) of Lynchburg, Va., died Aug. 13, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He was a member of the Seven Society. When he graduated from medical school, he was the valedictorian of his class. Dr. Sackett practiced internal medicine and cardiology in Lynchburg from 1956 to 1996. He was instrumental in establishing coronary care units at Lynchburg General and Virginia Baptist hospitals. Dr. Sackett developed Lynchburg’s Cardiac Rehabilitation Center in 1977. He was instrumental in the opening of cardiac catheterization laboratories in 1987 and the cardiac surgical program in 1989. He played a leadership role in the merger in 1987 of Virginia Baptist and Lynchburg General hospitals to create Centra Health. Dr. Sackett was honored in 1998 with the creation of the Sackett Heart Fund and biannual Sackett Heart Ball. Throughout his career, he held numerous leadership positions in the medical community. In 1991, he was honored by his peers for his numerous accomplishments by being named Laureate of the 1,500-member Virginia Chapter of the American College of Physicians. Survivors include a daughter, Leila Stuart Carr (Col ’83 A/M); and a nephew, Paul E. Sackett Jr. (Col ’58 L/M).
Sarah R. Chitwood (Med ’48 A/M) of Wytheville, Va., died Sept. 28, 2010. She worked as a contract physician for the U.S. Army in Germany for two years. When she moved to Pulaski, Va., in 1953, Dr. Chitwood initially practiced pediatrics, then transferred to the mental health field, working at many of the health departments in Southwest Virginia, including Pulaski, Floyd, Salem and Roanoke. Survivors include a sister, Ruth R. Chitwood (Nurs ’44 A/M); a son, H. Lee Chitwood (Col ’83 A/M); a granddaughter, Rachel E. Chitwood (Col ’11); and a grandson, Edmund D. Chitwood (Col ’13).
William Horner Brown (Col ’49, Law ’52 L/M) of Homosassa, Fla., died Aug. 21, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. At the University, he sang in many choirs and musical performances, including Gilbert & Sullivan productions. Mr. Brown was the mayor of Scottsville, Va., and secretary of the Albemarle County, Va., Electoral Board. As well, he was assistant attorney general in charge of St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands. Mr. Brown was president of the U.Va. Alumni Association’s New York Greater Metropolitan Chapter. Survivors include a daughter, Elizabeth Brown Williams (Col ’75, Educ ’78, Engr ’82).
Thomas Craig (Com ’49 L/M) of Darien, Conn., died Sept. 12, 2010. He served in the U.S. Navy. At the University, he was on the diving team and a member of Zeta Psi fraternity, later becoming a member of the Thomas Jefferson Society of Alumni. Over the course of his career, he worked for FMC, Olin Chemical, and Nitron Chemical Corp. Later, he helped start CALI Inc. in Norwalk and was president there until his retirement. He also served as vice president of the Fairfield County Swimming League. Survivors include a daughter, Caroline Craig Dutter (Col ’86 L/M).
John William Jones (Com ’49 L/M) of Lynchburg, Va., died Sept. 29, 2010. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. At the University, he was a member of Sigma Chi fraternity. Mr. Jones was a real estate broker. He served on the board of the Lynchburg Redevelopment & Housing Authority and the Lynchburg Board of Realtors.
Chester B. Payne (Engr ’49) of Big Canoe, Ga., died Sept. 27, 2010. He began his career in aeronautical engineering with NASA at Langley Field in 1950 testing gust loads and autopilot response. Mr. Payne then worked for Martin Aircraft Company testing aircraft, including P-6Ms and B-57s, before moving on to Lockheed, where he was division manager for flight testing. He was involved with the testing of numerous aircraft, including the C-5A, many versions of the C-130, the Lockheed Jetstar and the F-22. During his years in the industry, his work took him to more than 100 military bases carrying out his test flight assignments. He participated directly in the flight of the latest aircraft, often serving as flight crew member and test flight engineer. In 1974, Mr. Payne was awarded the Certificate of Merit by the Air Force Systems Command for the successful launch of an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile from a C-5A. He is the 1985 recipient of the annual Kelly Johnson Annual Award for Achievement given by the Society of Flight Test Engineers. The award trophy is on display in the Smithsonian Institution’s National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.